The premise of the YFC Soaring Bursary is simple. In order to provide the most cost effective support to youth flying, we support soaring, which is far less expensive than power flying. Even though the cost of gliding is between 1/4th and 1/5th the hourly price of flying a powered aircraft, this is still far beyond the means of most highschool, college and university students who have already earned their glider pilot license.
Each participating club has their own program which typically includes a reduced membership fee, subsidized flight costs, and free camping. The first YFC scholarship program at York Soaring remains the largest program. Its model allows the scholarship recipient to pay only $50 as an annual membership fee and $5 for each flight (covering rental and tow costs). The YFC Soaring Scholarship will cover the difference in costs until the scholarship amount awarded has been exhausted. In exchange, they are required to contribute two hours of volunteer time per training flight to their club.
The program has been very successful at York Soaring Association in Ontario with 25 scholarships given out in 2015. Two scholarships were also awarded at SOSA gliding club where a single seat Jantar is also owned by YFC for use by all youth pilots. If your club would like to know more about the program or make scholarships available in your area please contact Eva Dillon via our contacts page in the About Us section of the website.
To submit an application, the applicant must:
- Be a licensed glider pilot.
- Be between 16 and 22 years of age.
- Have an infectious enthusiasm for gliding.
- Be a full time student with good grades.
- Submit a self-written application why they should be selected, and be willing to write a report that evaluates the impact the YFC Soaring Bursary had on them.
- Submit their application to Youth Flight Canada before May 31st.
- Confirm they will use the Bursary to its fullest extent during the Summer months (flying season).
Download an application form here
For more information on YFC scholarships available at York Soaring click here
For more information on the YFC scholarships available at SOSA gliding club click here